The basilica was constructed between 306-312 A.D. by Maxentius and completed by Constantine. There were originally 5 large passages leading to a large hall divided into three naves. The only surviving column was removed in 1613 and placed in front of the Basilica di S. Maria Maggiore. Constantine had a white marble and gold bronze statue of himself placed in the apse of the central nave. The head and a foot are exhibited in the Capitoline Museum.